Check that the safety-critical aspects of a device function as intended.
Typical areas of inspection include:
- an assessment of the stability of the device including when foreseeably unbalanced;
- checking the safety-critical elements of safety envelopes
- checks to make sure that switches, valves, variable controllers (e.g. pressure regulators), overload protection (e.g. pressure-relief valves) etc. are properly set and, where appropriate, locked off, and settings recorded;
- observations and measurements of the performance of the device under normal loading and foreseeable unbalanced loading in all the configurations permitted in the operations manual;
- measurements of speeds, and accelerations and forces up to the maximum to check the validity of the design calculations;
- tests of the function and performance of all safety-critical systems in normal operation and under foreseeable fault and emergency conditions;
- confirming proper operation of emergency functions and evacuation procedures;
- confirming the availability of an operations manual in the language of the controller.